Friday, May 28, 2021

Analysis of Reading

 I am not the type of person to just sit down and read a book but when I know I have to read something for a class I am able to get it done. I guess you could say it gives me more motivation when my grade is at stake. 

While reading chapters 1-8 of “The Art of Social Media” there were a few things that made me think a little harder or read again. The first thing that stuck out to me was a part that talked about resharing and commenting on posts. It said “…resharing your posts is the ultimate compliment, because it means that people are risking their reputations on what you’ve written” (Kawasaki, Fitzpatrick 25). I never really thought about it this way. I always thought of it as they were commenting to support you and not even thinking about what it could be doing to their reputation. Say it were a political post and you commented on it and everyone is now able to see how you view that topic. It’s just crazy to me to think that commenting on someone’s post could ultimately ruin your reputation. 

A few pages later the authors bring up NPR. The first thing that popped into my head was my mom. I just remember her coming home from work every day telling us what she learned that morning listening to that radio station. We all thought she was weird for willingly choosing to listen to people talk on her way to work but she absolutely loved it and that is all that mattered to her!

One question I thought of while reading was during Chapter 6. It talked about getting more followers and that 90% of the battle is to “share good stuff”.  Doesn’t everyone have a different opinion on what they think is good? I might feel like posting about one thing is going to attract more people when in reality it could be pushing people away. I just think it could be kind of confusing since everyone is different and likes different things. 

Overall I thought this reading was very interesting and gave great tips to help jumpstart your social media interactions and I am looking forward to reading the rest of it soon!

Quotes: “The Art of Social Media” by Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick

No comments:

Post a Comment